Walk in Blood Clinic
We run a drop-in blood clinic every Wednesday from 8.40 am – 10.40 am. This is a drop-in service so no appointment is required. If you are needing more than blood taken you must make an appointment.
We aim to fit everyone who attends during the time given however there may be occasions when we have to close the list before the session ends. This will only happen during extremely busy periods.
You do not always need to see a GP or a practice nurse. Pharmacists now provide a consultation service and are often happy to deal with minor complaints. Some of the services they can deal with are
- aches & pains
- conjunctivitis ( for over 1 year olds)
- urine infections ( for over 16 -65 ) advice & treatment
- emergency contraception
- Skin troubles ( impetigo, nappy rash, minor burns )
- hay fever, mouth ulcers and cold sores
You can safely treat a number of problems yourself by accessing patient.co.uk online for information on the latest advice.
The Practice Nurse sees patients by appointment and provides health information and advice, cervical smear testing, ear syringing and blood tests.
The District nurse offers nursing care and assessments at home. The Health visiting team offers support to young families, the elderly and health advice.
Midwifes deal with all aspects of pregnancy. They are now your first point of contact when you have a positive pregnancy test.
- Baby Immunisation & Development Clinics on Mondays mornings.
- Immunisation for adults and children are generally provided by the Practice Nurse. Not all travel immunisations are available on the NHS, speak to reception for more details.
- Cervical Smears: Appointments with our Practice Nurse at your convenience
- Specialist Asthma, Diabetes, Heart, Mental Health and ‘Keep well’ appointments are available
- Contraceptive services are provided during normal surgeries. The Practice Nurse and GPs are happy to provide contraception. Dr Beckley & Dr Melville can fit the contraceptive implant, Nexplanon also known as ‘the rod’, long acting contraception and Dr Bennison can fit the coil. Appointments should be booked with the doctors to discuss this first.
- Minor surgery
- Baby ‘drop in’ clinic on Wednesdays from 9.30-11am in the Craigmillar Community Room
Mental Health Nurse
We have a new on site mental health nurse within Niddrie Medical Practice. Karen Valente is now bookable for anyone who is looking to discuss their mental health needs. Please organise an appointment with our Receptionists at the front desk or over the phone on 0131 652 2004.
We now have an on site physiotherapist who is bookable for appointments on Fridays at Niddrie Medical Practice. Gavin is able to check you over, discuss ways to help and refer you for specialist treatment if needed.
Please book an appointment with our Receptionists at the front desk or over the phone on 0131 652 2004.